Saturday, September 1, 2012

Sundry: School & Reading

It's been quiet for a little bit, and while I like to keep things here oriented around my writing, there's a lot of non-writing things that impact that craziness (writing, the desire - no, need - to write is a kind of craziness, a madness that you may not realize has a hold on you until you try to imagine with all of your imagination what it would be like to never do it again; then it seeps into your bones and makes you hurt for not doing it, compels you), so here's a little random update.

The fall semester started. This is my third fall semester at a community college; yes, I am taking 3 years to finish my Associate of Arts. With my age and the programs I want to pursue, I need levels 211 and 212 of a Foreign Language. If they had offered Latin, I might've taken it (having done 3 years in High School), but I opted to take Japanese. Given that this is a community college (and grossly underfunded, being in Colorado), I could not start Japanese I until my second fall semester. And so - I will graduate in the Spring of 2013, and I will have exploited the entirety of my 90 credit allowance in which to finish my degree. (After that, onward and upward.) I am taking a 13 credit hour load, which qualifies as full-time. Astronomy 102 (beyond our Solar System), American Literature pre-1865, Philosophy of Death & Dying, and Japanese III. This might slow me down a little. I refuse to let it stop me.

I am also still taking a few free courses over at Coursera. I encourage you to take a look.

Somewhere in here I am figuring out how to also hold down a job, since I actually HAVE one for the first time in a few years. Sometimes I forget I have it, since it's at my school (so, I'm always "going to school" regardless of activities pursued).

I finished and polished up the ~750 flash fiction piece intended for a contest. The six sentences I had previously posted for it no longer exist within its boundaries. I tried a little bit of Vonnegut's advice  (#5) and started closer to the end. I think it works. I hope it works. The winners will be announced within "one to two months".

I am reading two books right now, though one was a mistake to pick up randomly as it was part of a series; rereading Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey, and Magic Bleeds by Ilona Andrews. It's the second that is a part of a series (or is "sequence" the better word here?), though I haven't had too much trouble with it. There's enough information to go with the story without being confused, and the few references to past events or characters are couched in such a way that you get the idea of their importance and can recognize that they are from a previous story. I didn't pay attention when I picked it up, but it's okay. I mostly wanted to sample it and am now only 40 pages from the ending. Whoops?

I think I'll save "what sorts of blogs I read that have nothing to do with writing directly" for another time.

What bits of life keep you from writing? Or, even better, make you squeeze in the writing where you can? What are you reading?
Post a Comment